I am learning how to market and promote my book. The key word here is learning.
One of the BIGGEST things I have learned so far is that other authors are extremely supportive. I recently reached out asking for help regarding KDP Select and related promotional programs. As per the suggestion of a very wise fellow author, I am consolidating my lessons learned for others to learn from! Thank you Adam (check out Adam’s work – it’s really cool!)
KDP Select – What is it?
If you have published your e-book using Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP), you have the option to enroll your e-book in KDP Select. This program allows readers who have subscribed to Amazon Prime to choose a book once a month. Full details on KDP Select.
To enroll in KDP Select, go to your bookshelf. For the ebook you want to enroll, click the elipsis next to the ‘continue setup’ button, then click on KDP Select Info. From here you can enroll a book, or manage the settings for a currently enrolled book.
Important Things to Note!
- The program is for e-books
- Your book will still be available for purchase to readers who are not subscribers
- You cannot distribute your e-book anywhere else while it is enrolled (this means not even on your own website!)
- You can continue to distribute your printed book however you want
- Your book will be enrolled for 90 days at a time
- You MUST uncheck the box for automatic re-enrollment if you do not want it to be enrolled again at the end of the 90 day period – it is automatically checked when you sign up. I did not see this when I first signed up – oops!!!
- You have 3 days after a re-enrollment to cancel it
- You can manage your KDP Select enrollment at anytime.
I initially enrolled my e-book in KDP Select to try and improve its visibility. While an e-book is enrolled in KDP Select, royalties continue for e-book purchases. In addition, the author is awarded a portion of a global fund based on the number of pages read. See my initial results and analysis below.
Enrollment Period – August 1 to October 30, 2017
Was the sale a result of enrolling in KDP Select? Because the sale was in the UK, I think so, but cannot be 100% sure.
Is my book being read as a result of enrolling in KDP Select? It appears so.
- The ‘Sales – Free’ indicates that 36 books were downloaded through KDP Select within the first month of enrolment
- Pages are being read through Kindle Unlimited (KU) and Kindle Owner’s Lending Library (KOLL). These are both a result of KDP Select enrolment.
Thus, KDP Select did increase the visibility of the book. Is it enough to continue the program? I don’t know yet.
Will this result in more sales? Maybe. I am keen to attempt a couple of promotions, and to learn more about how to make my book visible within the KDP Select program. I will give this ago and share what I learn.
Julie’s Campaign to Learn More!
Over the next month I am going to try out several promotional strategies provided by the KDP Select program. The first one will be the countdown discount.
It is fairly straightforward to set up. I have configured my countdown deal as follows. The deal will last for a week. I have chosen four increments so that the price will start at 0.99, then increment to 1.99, then 2.99, then 3.99. The price will end up back at the original 4.99.
Stay tuned for results!!!
Would you like to add something? Did I miss something? Pop me a note or provide a comment below!